In John Rocque’s famous 1756 map of Dublin , we can see Luke Gardiner the elder’s new Sackville St, with his “Gardiner’s Mall” in the centre. It was where O’Connell St Upper is today (Running North from Earl St to Parnell St) It did not run south of Earl St. There instead, was a much… Read More Mecklinburgh; Tyrone; Waterford; and gone – stories of change in Dublin city
In the last post we explored how the relics of 5 star internationally renowned saint, St Valentine, (who was, probably, a 3rd century Roman) somehow, – improbably but rather wonderfully ended up by the 19th century in the church of the Carmelite White Friars, right here in Dublin. It’s a remarkable and heart warming story. But… Read More Too many Valentines? Like the saint himself!