South-East Dublin gems & visit inside old Sinn Féin HQ at No 6 Harcourt St: – a Dublin Decoded walking tour, with Arran Henderson, & Conradh na Gaeilge archivist Cuan Ó Seireadáin.
The first hour of our tour – led by Dublin Decoded’s Arran Henderson – takes in a selection of buildings, monuments and history from the immediate area of Kildare, Dawson and Molesworth Streets. We’ll view gems of Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian and Modernist architecture, and discuss some of the social, political and revolutionary history that brought them about.
- The second part of our tour then brings us along the edge of Stephen’s Green West and on to a private visit within No. 6 Harcourt Street, a Georgian building constructed by an aristocratic wine-merchant which later became an epicenter of Irish intellectual, cultural and political life.
- In the eighteenth century it was home to Lord Dufferin, an ancestor to a Viceroy of India.
- In the mid 19th century it was the Dublin home of Cardinal John Henry Newman, first rector of the Catholic University.
- In the early 20th century, it became Sinn Féin’s headquarters, the Sinn Féin Cooperative Bank and later housed Michael Collins’ Office.
- With the building subject to endless raids by British army and police, Collins was forced to escape on various occasions across the Harcourt Street rooftops, through a hatch still visible today.
- Another famous organisation indelibly associated with the building is the Gaelic League / Conradh na Gaeilge, founded by Douglas Hyde, who moved in during 1966. They remain here to this day.
- Cuan Ó Seireadáin is the archivist of Conradh na Gaeilge and has undertaken the formidable task of charting the history of this complex organisation and the history of the equally-storied 250 year old building they inhabit at No. 6 Harcourt Street. He will treat us to some of his findings so far, and show us around this extraordinary building.
It all takes place next Sunday 08/04/18, from 11.30am. We will finish some time between 1 and 1.30pm (event duration from 95- 115 minutes total)
Tickets are priced €16 pp, including booking fees. There are a limited amount of 2 for the price of one double tickets for just 15.80 for two people, but strictly subject to availbility.
In both cases tickets should be purchased in advance please, using the Green button above. Please note tickets are not refundable and so please read T&Cs on the EventBrite tour page prior to purchase prior to purchase. Thank you. We hope to see some of you there! As a short cut, both single and double (2 for 1) tickets may alternatively be purchased on this ticket link directly below.
One thought on “South-East Dublin gems & visit inside old Sinn Féin HQ at No 6 Harcourt St: – a Dublin Decoded walking tour, with Arran Henderson.”
Thanks, may be able to get to the next event. Liz
LikeLiked by 1 person